THOUGHTS ON FRIENDSHIP

Hey, rare beauties!

The thought of writing this post popped up maybe two weeks ago and I was so reluctant because believe it or not, friendship is such a touchy subject. I remember I was just thinking a lot about "ex-friends", friends that I just lost contact with etc. I kept trying to understand why we lose our "friends", why we love someone and then you grow apart? Friendship is very important to me, extremely important actually. If you are surrounded by good people, they would definitely influence you to be better, your friends can uplift you. To me, friendship is more intense than going out together, having fun and taking pictures for the "gram" (or whatever social media, you get me right?)

This is a long one so get comfortable, get a cup of drink, coffeee, wine and relax :)

Personally, I have "lost" quite a number of people in my life and just to be clear, by "lost", I mean- grown apart, let go off, people let me go and just I stopped being friends with" and for numerous reasons too in which I might have caused it, might have allowed it happen, might have just been hurt, might have hurt someone, might have associated myself with the crowd that didn't suit my lifestyle or the lifestyle I wanted (and still want) etc. In whichever situation, I sure learned something and I am still learning (NEVER A MISTAKE, ALWAYS A LESSON).

Funny because when I thought of writing this, I kept thinking of the best way to write it without calling people out, without getting angry or sad and most especially, without playing VICTIM. Sometimes, we feel so angry and hurt that we fail to check ourselves, to actually tell ourselves what we did wrong and accept the situation without acting like the victim because even if you 90% are, 10% of the same victim card applies to the other party (if that makes sense).

Friendship is like a romantic relationship (relax, relax, not in that way okay?). You get to know this person, create a bond and create memories with this person, the only difference is the level of intimacy of course. So losing a friend is like going through a breakup, literally. For me, I have accepted that your "idea" of friendship develops/changes as you grow older, It happens in stages and with each stage, I learn something new. So over the good and crappy years of friendship I have experienced, these are some of the things I have learned/still learning.

PLEASE NOTE: there's a difference between an acquaintance and a friend. Personally, my acquaintances are people I'm generally cool with. So know the difference and have different expectations.

Firstly, I would just put this out there- YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO HAVE STANDARDS FOR THE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE. YOU ARE ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR WHATEVER SITUATION YOU ARE IN, IT'S PAINFUL BUT, WHATEVER SITUATION YOU FIND YOURSELF, YOU ARE IN THE SITUATION BECAUSE OF YOU.  DON'T BLAME SOMEONE ELSE.

Friendship can be awesome when you decide to take control of your perspective in life and when you take control of the people you allow into your life. The best way is finding a balance and not losing yourself. Allow yourself to make mistakes, forgive yourself and keep getting better. Maybe five months ago, I probably wouldn't have been able to write this so you understand when I say I had to learn, I'm still learning and if this would help- it hasn't been easy for me, it's a process.

What has friendship taught you? I would love to hear from you guys!

Photos: screenshots from  instagram
Read my last post 
Stay Rare x

Labels: , , , , ,